MFA Open Call
UrbanGlass’ exhibition New Work, will feature the work of 3-5 recent graduates of MFA programs whose work features glass. The exhibition provides an international showcase for new and noteworthy talent in the field and is an important platform for the presentation of new work. Each of the finalists will be represented by up to 3 artworks in the exhibition. Exhibiting artists will receive an honorarium for their participation and the exhibition will also be documented in GLASS: The UrbanGlass Art Quarterly. Previous recipients of this opportunity include Weston Lambert, Victoria Ahmadizadeh, Heather Sutherland, Zac Weinberg, and more.
The exhibition will be on view in the UrbanGlass gallery in 2021.
Eligibility- The exhibition is open to MFA graduates, who use glass in their work, and have received their degree between 2018-2020.
Selection Process- A committee composed of artists, critics, and educators will select the 3-5 exhibiting artists. Selected artists will receive a $800 stipend to use for all supplies needed, including hardware to install their artwork in the space.
Artist Responsibilities- Artists who are selected to participate will be responsible for shipping their work to and from UrbanGlass, and providing insurance during transit. UrbanGlass will insure the work while on the premises. Artists are responsible for both installation and deinstallation of their work in the exhibition. This includes wall repair during deinstallation, i.e., patching and sanding of any holes or blemishes created by the artist. If you need assistance in installing or uninstalling the work, please consider including the expense of an art handler in your exhibition budget draft. As the gallery staff is small, they are unable to dedicate time to assist in this part of the process.
Guidelines- All images submitted must be of the same artwork being entered into the exhibition. All artwork entered must be available for sale.
Sales and Commissions- All artwork offered will be for sale. UrbanGlass will retain 40% of the purchase price. Shipping and insurance costs will be the responsibility of purchasers.
To apply, please submit the below to email@example.com with the subject line "MFA Exhibition Application 2021.":
- Up to 10 images that represent your proposal and highlights the work that you intend to show in the gallery. Images must be in JPG format and be 300 DPI. Maximum size of 6 inches in height and width. Each image should be a maximum of 8M each. Label each image with your last name and the number in the order in which you would like the image to be viewed. Example: Smith_01.jpg. All images submitted must be of the same artwork being entered into the exhibition.
- Please submit the below requested materials as a singular pdf:
- Image list in PDF format including: title, date, medium, dimensions of each work.
- Artist statement in PDF format that includes a description of submitted images.
- Current resume/curriculum vitae in PDF format.
Submission deadline extended: November 22, 2020
Participants will be notified by December 1st, 2020. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org