Graduate from an MFA program in the past five years? An exceptional opportunity for artists in fiber, metal, glass, or wood -- a nine-month residency in Richmond, Virginia -- is now accepting applications. The VCUarts Fountainhead Fellowship in Craft/Material Studies provides opportunities to concentrate on advancing your artist practice, community building, gaining teaching experience, and participating in what the announcement describes as "a vital, interdisciplinary, socially progressive community of artists." The Fountainhead Fellowship is a joint project of Virginia Commonwealth University’s School of the Arts, the Departments of Craft/Material Studies, Painting + Printmaking, and Sculpture + Extended Media as well as Fountainhead Development Services. One of many degree-offering schools at VCU, the School of the Arts comprises 18 bachelor's degree programs and six master's degree programs.
Eligible artists include those who work in one or more of the following mediums: fiber, metal, glass or wood. Applicants should have a strong foundation and understanding of their chosen materials and be innovators. Applicants must demonstrate the ability to teach beginner through advanced undergraduate studio classes that incorporate strong conceptual and technical skill building. MFA graduates who have graduated within the last 5 years are invited to apply. Those who are not eligible include those who graduated prior to Fall 2015 and VCU MFA students and graduates.
Recipients of the Fellowship receive the following:
- A generous Research and Travel Stipend
- 24-hour access to a Private Studio
- A furnished apartment located in a newly renovated eco-friendly complex, as part of a mixed-use community of artists’ studios, apartments, and more.
Applicants will be required to submit the following with one email with two separate pdfs to email@example.com (Subject line “Fountainhead Fellow Application”) :
- A Letter of Intent
- An Artist's Statement
- List of Skills in your medium
- Unofficial Graduate School Transcript
- Contact Information for 3 References (name, title, email, phone number)
- Portfolio - 20 images, including documentation script (single file PDF, no larger than 2MB)
- 10 Examples of Student Work
The deadline for submissions is March 30th, 2020.
Questions may be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org