by Andrew Page
The Toledo Museum of Art's exquisite new Glass Pavilion is a seamless intersection of art and architecture. While the building may be on the forefront of glass technology and aesthetics at the start of a new century, it also connects to the museum's origins at the start of the previous century. The TMA was founded in 1901 by Edward Drummond Libbey, whose Libbey Glass Company was prospering, thanks in part to Toledo's proximity to railroads and steamship lines. Libbey's hand-cut glassware had better distribution than the competition back East. Midwest industry was ascendant, and some of its more enlightened captains believed they had a duty to improve the lives of their employees and fellow citizens.