Visiting Designer Fellowship
The UrbanGlass Visiting Designer Fellowship will provide one individual with access to our 17,000 foot glass studio over the course of approximately 6 months. We will work with the selected participant to determine how he or she will best utilize the budget for the fellowship to experiment and create, and will pair them with talented teaching artists to guide them through their project. In addition, the participant may chose to spend some of their time taking courses in our extensive workshop program. At the end of the Fellowship, we ask that the designer gives some sort of public lecture about their time in the studio-- beyond that there are no expectations, it is truly aimed to be a time for experimentation.
- Scheduled access to all UrbanGlass studios, technical support and instruction.
- Budget to cover materials and studio fees for the length of fellowship (to be outlined in the fellowship agreement, prior to the start of term).
- Fellowships do not include room and board.
DEADLINES AND DATES
- Applications are due by Extended Submission deadline: Tuesday, October 1, 2019
- Fellowships will begin in March. Fellowships must be completed over the course of 2020.
UrbanGlass' newly renovated 17,000-square-foot facility contains a complete glassworking studio with a hot shop, cold shop, flameworking studio, neon shop, and kiln shop. Visiting Artists may make use of any or all of these areas of the studio.
JUDGING CRITERIA AND NOTIFICATION
UrbanGlass fellowships are designed to provide artists with the opportunity to develop a body of work and explore new techniques using the medium of glass. Artists will be chosen on the basis of past work and specific plans for utilizing UrbanGlass’ facilities as described in their proposal. Artists working both within and outside the glass field are encouraged to apply. A selection committee of artists, curators, and UrbanGlass Staff will review applications.
- Applicants must be over 21 years of age when fellowship commences.
- Applicants must have basic English language skills.
- Glass experience is not required.
- The following are NOT eligible to apply: Current students, current UrbanGlass employees, current UrbanGlass board members, artists who have received a grant from UrbanGlass in the last two years.
To apply, please send the following materials to email@example.com with the subject line "2020 Visiting Designer Fellowship application." Send all information as attachments. Any information submitted in the body of the email will not be considered:
- Current CV or Resume as a PDF
- One to two-page proposal or project description as a PDF, including:
- Techniques and materials you intend to use.
- How your time at UrbanGlass will benefit your career and artistic development.
- Why this project is best undertaken at UrbanGlass.
- How you plan to give back to the UrbanGlass community: consider a demonstration, lecture, presentation, exhibition, etc...
- Five images as .jpeg files and corresponding image list as PDF:
- Include an image list that describes title, date, media/technique, and dimensions for each image.
- Only one piece per image, please.
- Please label each file with your last name and the number corresponding to your image list (Example: Smith01.jpeg)
- The name and contact information for two references as PDF.