Agnes Varis Art Center Assistant
Founded in 1977 UrbanGlass was the first artist-access glass center in the United States and is now the largest with 17,000 square feet of state-of-the-art studio space and a 3,000 square foot ground floor gallery and retail space on busy Fulton Street. Our mission seeks to foster experimentation and advance the use and critical understanding of glass as a creative medium.
UrbanGlass serves over 12,000 professional artists, students and members of the public annually seeking to learn about the possibilities of the material, and engage with the dynamic artists, curators and thinkers leading the conversation in contemporary art and design. Classes are offered to students at all skill levels and as young as 9 in a variety of techniques, including glassblowing, kiln work, flame work, mosaics, and neon. Over 5,500 students a year study and work with faculty that includes world-renowned artists and designers.
This full-time, salaried position assists in the day-to-day operation and organization of UrbanGlass’ Agnes Varis Art Center (AVAC), our ground-floor exhibition and retail space. Working closely with the Art Center Program Manager, the ideal candidate is a self-starter with retail and design experience; strong customer service skills; and comfort working with the public. The employee in this role will have the flexible in assisting where needed in the programming of the Agnes Varis Art Center. This is a Saturday- Wednesday position and includes a list of benefits including health insurance, a free class at UrbanGlass which is offered yearly, and paid time off/ sick leave.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Greeting all Art Center visitors, answering questions about the gallery exhibitions, serving as a salesperson in the store, and prioritizing this facet of the role while visitors are in AVAC. This role is public facing, and the assistant’s focus will be in providing visitors with excellent customer service.
- Working collaboratively with the AVAC Program Manager towards goals of the space.
- Working with the UrbanGlass team to facilitate a social media schedule and maintain a digital advertising presence.
- Inventory administration: checking products into inventory and regularly assisting in the maintenance of products on the UrbanGlass website.
- Photographing products for use on the website and social media.
- Assisting with coordination of exhibition programming.
- Assisting in visual merchandising and maintaining a clean storefront and gallery.
- Designing printed and web materials as needed.
- Assisting the Development Department when needed.
- Assisting in the growth of UrbanGlass|ware presence online and through digital advertising.
- Actively learning and staying on top of UrbanGlass programs and artists so to be able to confidently discuss them with customers.
- Supporting events happening in AVAC.
- 3+ years’ experience in retail, sales, non-profit, cultural, or arts organization.
- Exceptional communication, and customer service skills.
- Proficiency in creating social media content, 2+ years experience.
- Passion for creating exciting content to promote the organization.
- Experience in CSS, Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, for photo editing, and marketing design.
- Competent in executing delegated tasks, communicating progress, and working proactively.
How to apply:
Please submit a resume and cover letter, as a single PDF, to email@example.com and state “AVAC Assistant_Your Name” in the subject line.
People of color, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ people are always strongly encouraged to apply.