2023 UrbanGlass Academic Symposium Open Call
Attention glass educators, scholars, artists and designers! UrbanGlass is seeking proposals for the 2023 UrbanGlass Academic Symposium. The symposium returns for Fall 2023, tentatively scheduled for November 2, 3 and 4, in-person at UrbanGlass in Brooklyn, NY. The theme of the symposium is "Glass Education for a New Era", and we are looking for dynamic and innovative proposals that address the challenges and opportunities presented by the changing landscape of glass education. Most presentations will be 1 or 1.5 hours in duration and for an in-person audience. We will consider any style of presentation that best conveys your research to increase learning outcomes, including, but not limited to:
- Research papers: original research recently conducted in a lecture format that presents in-depth analysis and findings along with recommendations for application in an educational setting.
- Professional Development Workshops: teach a skill-building session relating to improving an instructor's teaching methods, learning activities, learning assessments, etc.
- Panel discussions: Lead a discussion with 2-3 other panelists who engage in a topic holistically.
- Breakout Groups: facilitate a more intimate discussion on a specific issue or topic that begins with an opening presentation that gives context for breakout group conversations.
- Audio/Visual presentations: showcase research in an audio/visual format along with a Q&A or guided discussion.
- Performative presentations: perform or organize an experiential based presentation
- Any other presentation style: propose a unique method or hybrid presentation style that combines any number of methods.
For submission, please prepare the following:
- A one-page proposal that articulates your topic and objectives for the presentation [pdf upload].
- An elevator pitch for your presentation [roughly 75-100 words].
- An outline that will help the jury understand the time duration [1 hour or 1.5 hours], how you plan to engage participants and achieve your learning goals. If your presentation requires more than 1.5 hours, please explain how much time is needed and your past experience that supports the requested time allocation.
- A current resume or CV that highlights your relevant education, experience, and accomplishments.
- Up to 3 supplemental materials: Depending on the nature of your proposal, you may want to include supporting materials such as images of your artwork, sample lesson plans for a workshop, an abstract or excerpt of research conducted, lists of questions for a panel discussion or video clips of your previous presentations or performances.
Please ensure that your submission materials are directly related to your one-page presentation proposal. Even if your research or ideas are still in progress, but you anticipate they will be ready for presentation by early Fall 2023, please don't hesitate to submit a proposal for our consideration.
Submit an application by 11:59 PM by April 30, 2023 via Zealous: Open call link
Call is open!!
April 30 Call closes
May 5 Jury process begins
May 16 Jury process closes
May 30 Presenter notification begins
June 10 Acceptance Deadline
July 1 Press photo, bio and final promotional materials due
September 15 Final presentation materials submitted
November 1 Arrive in NYC
November 2 Symposium begins
Don’t miss this unique opportunity to connect with fellow educators, students, designers, artists and industry scholars, showcase your work, and share your insights and innovations on the field. Submit your proposal today and join us in a dynamic and collaborative exploration in shaping the future of glass education.